Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Welcome to South Carolina

Ahhh, South Carolina, home of Myrtle Beach, hundreds of miles of beautiful coastal beaches and wetlands, incredibly awe inspiring foothills and woodlands, and a history that precedes the formation of our great nation. I love where I live. In the not to distant future, our state is going to vote on a bill that prohibits chicken and pitbull fighting. It will be a felony and punishable with up to 5 years in prison. Sound Great? Yeah, well it's currently only a misdemeanor to physically abuse someone in a domestic relationship. WE'RE MOVING AHEAD!!! You can't fight your chickens or dogs without going to jail, but you can beat your wife and get off with a slap on the wrist. I'm not a politician and I do not use this blog to push my personal political views (at least not very often), but I think we've succeeded once more in stereotyping our "good ol' boy" politics. Before you watch this link, please know that I have the utmost respect for our politicians and I know they are attempting to crack down on domestic violence, but this news report takes the cake. WIS TV Ok, so I can probably figure out this whole story. Two bills before the judiciary committee. One wants to make chicken fighting and pit bull fighting a felony offense. I can agree with that. The other wants to make it tougher on people who abuse others, a domestic violence bill. As of right now, domestic violence is a misdemenor. No doubt the domestic violence bill may need some work, it has to be much more involved than a bill that prohibits animal cruelty, but this cultured politician does a terrible job of explaining any point whatsoever, calling the reporter "not very bright" and "you'll just have to live with that [the fact that you're not very bright]." Where do we get these people?! Please do NOT judge SC based on this type of politicians. I have friends in the State legislature and can't wait to here their take on it. If you stuck around to see and read the whole whing, THANKS!

2 comments:

Eddie said...

Eh, every state has wacky politicians. No need to be embarrassed.

dom said...

It looks lovely ... 3 weeks ago I went to North Carolina .. If the south is half as beautiful , you are indeed very lucky :-)